Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Moving to SQL 7 to new server

I have a SQL 7 server whic has about 30 database
totalling 16 GB and is on the E drive
I have a new server that I need to move it to. On the
new server SQL is going to be installed on the F drive
instead of E drive.
Would I be able to just shutodwn the SQL service and copy
all the mdf and ldf files in the /data directory and copy
into new server?
Otherwise I guess I would need to do a sql backup and
restore, would Ineed to restore the master database? If
so does anyone know the exact procedure? Whenever I try
to in the past I get errors.
ThanksSee MSKB 224071 for detailed instructions on moving system and user
databases:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071
--
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Mike_T" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:b03101c3ecb9$127de010$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have a SQL 7 server whic has about 30 database
> totalling 16 GB and is on the E drive
> I have a new server that I need to move it to. On the
> new server SQL is going to be installed on the F drive
> instead of E drive.
>
> Would I be able to just shutodwn the SQL service and copy
> all the mdf and ldf files in the /data directory and copy
> into new server?
> Otherwise I guess I would need to do a sql backup and
> restore, would Ineed to restore the master database? If
> so does anyone know the exact procedure? Whenever I try
> to in the past I get errors.
> Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment