Friday, March 30, 2012

Moving Transaction logs to different spindle or directory

Hi there,
I have several databases running on production and I need to move
transaction log files to different directory or spindle. What is the best way
of doing it for many databases?
I am concern about the downtime of these databases. Any trick to avoid the
down time.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance"David" <David@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DB84C53A-8809-4316-B300-D4802BBEFBCA@.microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
> I have several databases running on production and I need to move
> transaction log files to different directory or spindle. What is the best
> way
> of doing it for many databases?
> I am concern about the downtime of these databases. Any trick to avoid the
> down time.
> Thanks for your thoughts in advance
If you want to script this somehow, then you may wish to take a look at
sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db.
Basically, you detach the database in question, move the log file, then
reattach specifying the new file locations.
Rick Sawtell
MCT, MCSD, MCDBA

No comments:

Post a Comment