Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Moving to SQL Server 2005

Hello Everyone and thanks for your help in advance. I am setting up a new testing and development machine. My previous machine had VS 2003 and SQL Server 2000 installed on it. The new machine is going to be VS 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Standard. I have approximately 12 databases on the old machine in SQL 2000 that I want to bring over onto the new machine and convert to 2005. What is the best way to go aobut this. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but I'm having trouble finding documentation on this topic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Are you upgrading the 2000 to 2005? or uninstalling 2000 and installing 2005? If you upgrade the db's will be moved along. If you do a clean install you can bakc up your files and restore them in 2005.|||Thanks for the response. I am actually working with a clean install of 2005 on a new machine. I actually tried running a backup from the 2000 machine onto an external drive. However, when I tried to do the resore through the 2005 manager, i received an error message " the backup set holds a backup of of the database other than the existing database. So I'm not sure what is happening here.|||Try moving each .bak file into the Backup sub folder under Microsoft SQL Server folder in programs and restoring from there and in the Backup and Restore wizard choose the restore from device option and make sure SQL Server create the file path for you. Move the .bak files one at a time make sure the restore is correct before putting the next one in the folder again. Hope this helps.|||

Thanks for the assistance. It appears the key to this is checking the option box to overwrite the existing database. Once i did that, it worked fine.

Thanks.

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment