Monday, February 20, 2012

Moving log files

If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive, will
it break any of my permissions for the sql logins. If so, how can I fix
this.

This all stemmed from needing to setup log shipping to another server
for redundancy. Step 1 says to create a share where the log files
reside. Well the sql server was installed by a previous employee and
the log files are in the same directory as the data files. I would feel
more comfortable (security wise) if I only shared out the directory
where the log files lived.

If anyone thinks that I am traveling down the wrong path or has any
suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks> If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive, will
> it break any of my permissions for the sql logins.

No, this will not break permissions if you immediately reattach to the same
instance. Problems with orphaned users occur when you a attach/restore to a
different instance or attach/restore after dropping logins.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

"buster" <funkdm1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1108478329.906485.6570@.c13g2000cwb.googlegrou ps.com...
> If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive, will
> it break any of my permissions for the sql logins. If so, how can I fix
> this.
> This all stemmed from needing to setup log shipping to another server
> for redundancy. Step 1 says to create a share where the log files
> reside. Well the sql server was installed by a previous employee and
> the log files are in the same directory as the data files. I would feel
> more comfortable (security wise) if I only shared out the directory
> where the log files lived.
> If anyone thinks that I am traveling down the wrong path or has any
> suggestions, please let me know.
> Thanks|||Dan, thanks for the quick response.

I was wondering if you could help with one more issue.

It says I need to create a share in order to do the log shipping, this
sounds a little dangerous, and I didnt know if there was a better way
to make this happen without the share.

Thanks

Dan Guzman wrote:
> > If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive,
will
> > it break any of my permissions for the sql logins.
> No, this will not break permissions if you immediately reattach to
the same
> instance. Problems with orphaned users occur when you a
attach/restore to a
> different instance or attach/restore after dropping logins.
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Dan Guzman
> SQL Server MVP
> "buster" <funkdm1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1108478329.906485.6570@.c13g2000cwb.googlegrou ps.com...
> > If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive,
will
> > it break any of my permissions for the sql logins. If so, how can I
fix
> > this.
> > This all stemmed from needing to setup log shipping to another
server
> > for redundancy. Step 1 says to create a share where the log files
> > reside. Well the sql server was installed by a previous employee
and
> > the log files are in the same directory as the data files. I would
feel
> > more comfortable (security wise) if I only shared out the directory
> > where the log files lived.
> > If anyone thinks that I am traveling down the wrong path or has any
> > suggestions, please let me know.
> > Thanks|||I don't think the share itself is a security concern as long as you lock
down the permissions appropriately. For example. you don't need 'Everyone'
to have access.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

"buster" <funkdm1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1108487114.588583.178240@.o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
> Dan, thanks for the quick response.
> I was wondering if you could help with one more issue.
> It says I need to create a share in order to do the log shipping, this
> sounds a little dangerous, and I didnt know if there was a better way
> to make this happen without the share.
> Thanks
> Dan Guzman wrote:
>> > If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive,
> will
>> > it break any of my permissions for the sql logins.
>>
>> No, this will not break permissions if you immediately reattach to
> the same
>> instance. Problems with orphaned users occur when you a
> attach/restore to a
>> different instance or attach/restore after dropping logins.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Dan Guzman
>> SQL Server MVP
>>
>> "buster" <funkdm1@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1108478329.906485.6570@.c13g2000cwb.googlegrou ps.com...
>> > If I use attach/detach to move my log file to a different drive,
> will
>> > it break any of my permissions for the sql logins. If so, how can I
> fix
>> > this.
>>> > This all stemmed from needing to setup log shipping to another
> server
>> > for redundancy. Step 1 says to create a share where the log files
>> > reside. Well the sql server was installed by a previous employee
> and
>> > the log files are in the same directory as the data files. I would
> feel
>> > more comfortable (security wise) if I only shared out the directory
>> > where the log files lived.
>>> > If anyone thinks that I am traveling down the wrong path or has any
>> > suggestions, please let me know.
>>> > Thanks
>

No comments:

Post a Comment