Saturday, February 25, 2012

moving msdb database

on SQL 2000:
I need to move the system databases to a different path. This morning I attempted to move the msdb to a different path, and got myself in trouble.

I'm following the guidelines at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071

I added the "-T3608" to the sql server startup parameters, and when I tried to stop and restart sql, it would not start back up. Keep in mind that I did not even attempt to detach the msdb database.

I tested this out on my test server before trying it out on the live server, and it worked fine. I called MS, and Robin told me that she has never seen that before, and had no records of that ever happening. She said the only thing she could think of was that the server was being accessed by users at the time, and this "may" have caused the problem. I would LIKE to believe that was the case, but I'm not convinced. The only error I could see in the logs was this:

spid68 WARNING: problem activating all tempdb files.
See previous errors. Restart server with -f to correct the situation.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
TommyTry restarting SQL Server as single user :

Open a dos window on the server, change directory to directory where sqlservr.exe is, then run the following:

sqlservr.exe -c -m

This restarts SQL in single user mode.
Make sure that you only have EM open, as only one person allowed on the server at a time.

Remove the -T3608 flag from the startup params.

Shut down sql server by doing control C in the dos box ( ugly eh??)
then close dos window once sql stops.

Try restarting sql normally.

Let us know how it goes.

HTH

Cheers,

SG.|||I found the problem on this. You need to disconnect all users and pull out the network cable, else sql will not start back up. MS acknowledged this, and said they will be adding it to their KB.

Tommy|||Howdy

Glad its resolved.

Cheers,

SG

No comments:

Post a Comment