Saturday, February 25, 2012

Moving MSSQL 7.0 Replicated database to MSSQL 2000

Hi,
I have a SQL Server 7.0 database which is configured for merge replication.
It has one publication and the publisher and distributor all reside on the
one server.
I now need to move the database to a new server with MSSQL 2000.
I would like to move the DB, replication and all if that's possible.
I have considered the copy database wizard but, as far as I know, it cannot
deal with replicated databases. I also tried restoring the database but get a
invalid column name'excluded_cols' error message which, I believe, is down to
replication being enabled on the original database.
As the merge replication is relatively uncomplicated I could perhaps create
the publication afresh on the new server. However how do I get the database
on to the MSSQL 2000 server in the first place?
I have also considered installing MSSQL 7.0 on the new server and then
restoring the database and upgrading it. Then decommissioning the old server.
Would replication be enabled on the new server?
Or are there any simpler means of achieving the same ends?
Any advice or shared experience appreciated.
DOM
Hi
Why don't you remove replication, restore the database and then re-create
the replication?
John
"Dom" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a SQL Server 7.0 database which is configured for merge replication.
> It has one publication and the publisher and distributor all reside on the
> one server.
> I now need to move the database to a new server with MSSQL 2000.
> I would like to move the DB, replication and all if that's possible.
> I have considered the copy database wizard but, as far as I know, it cannot
> deal with replicated databases. I also tried restoring the database but get a
> invalid column name'excluded_cols' error message which, I believe, is down to
> replication being enabled on the original database.
> As the merge replication is relatively uncomplicated I could perhaps create
> the publication afresh on the new server. However how do I get the database
> on to the MSSQL 2000 server in the first place?
> I have also considered installing MSSQL 7.0 on the new server and then
> restoring the database and upgrading it. Then decommissioning the old server.
> Would replication be enabled on the new server?
> Or are there any simpler means of achieving the same ends?
> Any advice or shared experience appreciated.
> DOM
>
|||Hi John,
I would like to leave the original MSSQL 7.0 server fully operational as a
backup in case of problems with the new MSSQL 2000 box.
Therefore I want to leave replication intact on the original server .
I have no problem re-creating replication on the new box (although I'd
prefer not to), as I said it's a relatively simple replication scenario.
My problem is how to copy or restore a replicated MSSQL 7 database onto a
MSSQL 2000 box without any problems and leave the original databse intact on
the original server.
Any ideas?
DOM.
"John Bell" wrote:

> Hi
> Why don't you remove replication, restore the database and then re-create
> the replication?
> John
>
|||Hi
I would install SQL 2000 as a second instance on the second server. Restore
the database on the SQL 7 instance. Remove replication from the database.
Backup the database and restore it on SQL 2000.
Once tested you can use the same method for the upgrade, but on the primary
server you can remove SQL 7 and do a fresh SQL 2000 install. Once that is
working you can upgrade the secondary server.
You can do risk assessment on what/if scenarios, and you may want to take
server images in case you need to recover quickly at any point. Your
secondary server can be a standby alternative SQL 7 installation and SQL 2000
installation (you just need the disc space to hold it all!).
John
"Dom" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi John,
> I would like to leave the original MSSQL 7.0 server fully operational as a
> backup in case of problems with the new MSSQL 2000 box.
> Therefore I want to leave replication intact on the original server .
> I have no problem re-creating replication on the new box (although I'd
> prefer not to), as I said it's a relatively simple replication scenario.
> My problem is how to copy or restore a replicated MSSQL 7 database onto a
> MSSQL 2000 box without any problems and leave the original databse intact on
> the original server.
> Any ideas?
> DOM.
>
> "John Bell" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment