Saturday, February 25, 2012

Moving my SQL 7.0 databases to a new server to replace the old server

My existing SQL server is an old box that can no longer cope with the load. I need to replace it with a brand new box.

I am looking for a comprehensive set of steps that I could follow to ensure that the transition to the new server goes well.

I'm looking to transfer all my user databases but I'm not so sure whether I have to backup and restore my system databases to the new server as well.

I want to name the new server the same as the old server since I will be taking the old server out of production but I'm not sure whether I should rename the server AFTER I move over all the database and how that would affect SQL. Or should I first rename the old server, remove it out of the domain, then name my new server with the same name as my old server, and then proceed with the SQL installation and the moving of the databases.

Also, I do have a maintenance plan, DTS packages and some jobs set up on my old server that I would also like to move to the new server.

Is there a web page that explains all the steps in granular detail ?

SQL Server 2005 Books Online actually has pretty good info on this. I just did a search on "upgrade 7.0" and it provided a good roadmap.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment