Saturday, February 25, 2012

Moving my SQL Server to another computer

I will moving my SQL Server to another server. The plan is to stop SQL Server copy database file to a temp netwokr location, Switch off this server. Configure the new server with the same name and IP, install SQL to the same paths and service pack to the same level (SQL 2000 sp3). Then start and stop the SQL server. Once stop I will then copy the old database file over the new ones.

I know in general this works as I have doen this many times before expect this time round there is a replicaiton database which is new, I am expecting this will work the same but has any one else tried this before?

Unfortunately, you have to disable the publication before you can detach and move the database.

BTW, I recommend you to detach the database before you move the database file to another server, this ensure you can attach it to the new server even though it is missing the transaction log file.

No comments:

Post a Comment