Monday, February 20, 2012

Moving MASTER and MSDB to a New Server

I am working on a consolidation project. I would like to move my SQL
environment from SERVER1 to SERVER2. The old SQL is the default instance.
It's moving to an instance on SERVER2. The server name will be different
after the move. How do I move the MSDB and MASTER in this case?
ThanksHi,
Does this Help?
INF: Moving SQL Server databases to a new location with
Detach/Attach
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=224071
Also Look into to the articles mentioned in References.
Regards
Thirumal
>--Original Message--
>I am working on a consolidation project. I would like to
move my SQL
>environment from SERVER1 to SERVER2. The old SQL is the
default instance.
>It's moving to an instance on SERVER2. The server name
will be different
>after the move. How do I move the MSDB and MASTER in
this case?
>Thanks
>
>.
>|||I've seen those articles. What's different in my case is that the name of
the server is also changing. I don't see references to that.
"Thirumal" <treddym@.hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:16b5a01c41cbc$aced51c0$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> Does this Help?
> INF: Moving SQL Server databases to a new location with
> Detach/Attach
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=224071
> Also Look into to the articles mentioned in References.
> Regards
> Thirumal
> >--Original Message--
> >I am working on a consolidation project. I would like to
> move my SQL
> >environment from SERVER1 to SERVER2. The old SQL is the
> default instance.
> >It's moving to an instance on SERVER2. The server name
> will be different
> >after the move. How do I move the MSDB and MASTER in
> this case?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >
> >.
> >|||Hi,
The article is still applicable. You need to drop the old
server & add the new one.
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/info_change_server_name.as
p
HTH
Regards
Thirumal
>--Original Message--
>I've seen those articles. What's different in my case is
that the name of
>the server is also changing. I don't see references to
that.
>
>"Thirumal" <treddym@.hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:16b5a01c41cbc$aced51c0$a601280a@.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>> Does this Help?
>> INF: Moving SQL Server databases to a new location with
>> Detach/Attach
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=224071
>> Also Look into to the articles mentioned in References.
>> Regards
>> Thirumal
>> >--Original Message--
>> >I am working on a consolidation project. I would like
to
>> move my SQL
>> >environment from SERVER1 to SERVER2. The old SQL is
the
>> default instance.
>> >It's moving to an instance on SERVER2. The server name
>> will be different
>> >after the move. How do I move the MSDB and MASTER in
>> this case?
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >
>> >
>> >.
>> >
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment